What is a WordPress Multisite Network?
WordPress multisite network
WordPress web development, e.commerce, real estate
We are a full web design agency based in Maine and NH. We design responsive mobile ready websites for regional, national and international clients since 2002. Over 15 years of experience!
WordPress Developer, WordPress Website Design and Web Development. E-commerce, real estate web design. WordPress is the most popular content management system on the web.
All of our hosting plans come with your OWN cPanel, 99.9% uptime and a 30 day money back guarantee. High end servers, FREE email accounts, FREE backups and our friendly 24/7/365 support!
A WordPress multisite network allows you to manage multiple websites from a single WordPress installation.
- “Network” is the entire Multisite network, i.e. the WordPress installation
- “Site” refers to one of the websites created inside the network.
By installing WordPress with the the multisite option, you can run as many sites as you want. Updating Multisite is exactly the same as updating any WordPress site. All of the network’s themes and plugins are installed just once, no matter how many sites you use them on – when you update a plugin from the Network Admin Dashboard, the new plugin is installed and updated to all of the sites. Big timesaver. The Multisite WordPress installation is almost exactly the same as a standard installation: it has the same folder structure, the same core files and the same database for all sites into the network. Extra screens will be added to the admin to manage the network. These are accessible only to the Super Admin who manages the network – the super admin will install themes and plugins and create and manage sites. You can run three totally different themes, or run the same theme across all your sites. Benefits of Multisite
- Quick access to several websites is convenient. With one username and password, clients and site admins can access all of their sites with a single drop down menu in the WordPress admin bar.
- Multisite makes easy to create users by managing a centralized set of users with personalized permission to each site that they are allowed to access.
- One of the major benefits of running a WordPress multisite is that you only need to upgrade WordPress once.